”Martisor ”church is located on the hill “Martisor” from where it gets its name. It is situated a few hundred metres from the Memorial House “Martisor” of Tudor Arghezi, a famous Romanian poet and MP.
The name Martisor was given to the hill from “the custom of the strangers living among the remains of vineyards and orchards belonging to the monastery, of tying threads of red silk, close to the buds on the tree branches on a morning of rose-like beauty at the start of March.” (Stories from Martisor – Barutu Arghezi).
Martisor church serves the parish of Martisor. (Previously known as the parish of Vacaresti, before the hill was named and the church and parish took on the name).
The Parish of Vacaresti
was established in 1941 by Patriarch Nicodim in 1941 for
the new district, which was formed in 1939, between the boundaries of Oltenitei Road, former Vacaresti
Monastery, Vacaresti Road,
Tudor Arghezi's name was strongly linked with Martisor district. He was a member of the parish council, and he originally initiated urbanisation on this hill.
The church was built on the land donated by family G. M. Alexandru Savoia and also on the land donated by priest Mihai Tataram.
The funds for the building materials of the church were raised by official and private donations and the construction costs were supported by the Cristescu family.
The church was built by Ilie Constantinescu according to the design of architect Stefan Calugareanu.
On 1-st of August 1943 the first stone of the foundation was set and the church was completed and in use by April 1944. It was consecrated on 9-thth of September 1944 by the Romanian Patriarch Justinian Marina. This was the first church consecrated by Justinian following his nomination as Patriarch.
The ensemble of the wall paintings was created by Teodorescu - Romananti.
The church is composed of: a closed porch (veranda), narthex with choir balcony, nave and altar, all of these forming the shape of an ark. It measures 24 x 7 square meters with 6 metre high walls to the cornice, and finishing with the polygonal apse of the altar.
On top of the nave and aided by pendentives, a cupola is erected, octagonal in shape with eight elongated windows.
In its external appearance the church’s walls are simply plastered with ground down stone. The cornice has few profiles and the windows are ornamented with sculptures in stone. The church is supported by a tall socle of sculptured stone.
The church suffered from a couple of incidents (calamities), resulting in essential repair work being carried out until October 1981 when it was re-blessed . In 1993 it was repainted.
The church was served by the following priests: Pr. Mihai Tătărâm (+1996), Pr. Iulian Stoicescu, Pr. Nicolae Bretan (+1962), Professor Priest Ion Ionescu (+2007), Pr. Aurel Samoilă (+2004).
For his dedication in the realisation of construction works for the church, priest Mihai Tataram is considered its founder.
At present, working and serving in the church is Parish Priest Dragos MARINEATA together with Priest Ticu-Constantin BUTA.